Sunday, March 26, 2006

Canadian-American

Yesterday I read an article in Newsweek article in Newsweek about a woman's experience being Indian-American. After reading it, I realized: I'm Canadian-American!

That sounds really weird; I don't think I've ever heard that phrase before. A brief Google search shows me that "Canadian-American" is more often used in the context of Canadian/American political relations, as opposed to "Indian-American", which generally refers to Americans of Indian origin.

Used in the latter sense, "Canadian-American" does a good job of describing my experience in the United States.
-I am an immigrant. Technically, a "Legal Alien" (speaking of weird-sounding phrases!)
-I have an accent. Not much of one, anymore, but every once in a while I discover that it's still there.
-I cheer for my home country in the Olympics.
-Although I've never actually done either, I love hockey and dogsledding.
-I have gone curling (interesting, but not that great), and I like to play crokinole--both apparently very Canadian games.
-I never seem to quite fit into society around me.

Less tangibly, the longer I live in the US, the more I discover that my deepest cultural, political and religious beliefs are more Canadian than American. (Some of this may be coincidence, as many Americans I hang around share many of these beliefs, but I think they are significant anyways.)
-I believe that the government should help its people, not wage war on other countries.
-I believe that education should get more funding than the military.
-Universal healthcare!!!!!!! 'Nuff said.
-I think the government should not try to be religious.
-I find myself to be more secular than the average American.
-I believe that immigrants should be welcomed, not shot at, and that customs officials should not be armed.
-I believe that people should not carry guns around with them, or keep them under their pillows.
-I believe that rich countries should help poor ones, not exploit them.
-Even the fact that I want to claim a minority status is result of my Canadian experience, because in Canada, minorities are treated carefully and considerately (no one wants to be accused of prejudice).

I've never been a huge fan of labels, but the concept of Canadian-American appeals to me because it provides a framework in which it's okay that I don't fit in. If I'm "something-American", I should expect to be misunderstood sometimes, and not freak out about it. I should expect that people won't always agree with me, because they are part of a different culture.

So here I am, proudly Canadian-American!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home