Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Complaining-about-yardwork Club

Every time I talk to someone about my new house, they make a big deal about how it's a lot of work to keep up the yard. Is this supposed to make me feel bad, or are they commiserating with me?

In a way, it's like they're accepting me into their club, but apparently one of the major club rules is that you have to complain about mowing the grass. I understand that mowing the grass is one of those things that just needs to be done, but no one really likes to do it. But is complaining about it some sort of therapy, or an attempt to drag me down into misery with them? I suspect the former, but I often feel like it's the latter.

Whatever happened to keeping a positive attitude?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Rose said...

My father used to use yard work as his way to relax. I guess that is one of the reasons why I like to weed. I also feel like yard work gives an immediate gratification. You see the progress you have made and it looks good. Even just weeding for 30 minutes makes what ever part of the yard you were working on look so much better. I think mowing can be hard if you have to wrong equipment, or if you have some many things that need to get done also. But if you forget for the time being what else needs to get done and work solely on the project on hand it can be very rewarding. You can use it as a time to meditate or pray. Most of the time with yard work you don’t need to think, so that can free your mind to wonder. I use that time to tell stories to myself.
It just takes time that most people think they don't have.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Stuart Martin said...

Thank you! I wish more people had this kind of attitude :-)

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home