Friday, June 16, 2006

Defining My Genre Part 1

While trying to come up with a list of my favorite books for my profile, I realized that the books and films I've enjoyed the most over the course of my life are not necessarily the same as the ones that have had the most impact on me. When I read new books, or watch movies, I subconsciously compare everything to the books that define what I'll call "My Genre." When it comes to my occasional attempts at writing my own books, I find that many of my ideas are also strongly influenced by these formative books:

The Keeper of the Isis Light (by Monica Hughes)
The Chronicles of Narnia (by C.S. Lewis)
The Chrysalids (by John Wyndham)

Just for the record, some books that I enjoyed but were less "defining" include:

The Wolf King (by Joseph Wharton Lippincott)
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh (by Robert C. O'Brien).
Watership Down (by Richard Adams)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home