Monday, September 18, 2006

Danny and the Deep Blue Sea


On Friday night, I enjoyed a production of Danny and the Deep Blue Sea, currently showing at New World Arts Theater in Goshen. The play is about a man and a woman, both tough and world-wise, but also very world-weary, who meet one night. Each is just what the other needs, and they begin to dream about what their life could be like together. Reality intrudes, and they fight, as people are wont to do, but the kernel of peace they have found doesn't die.

Although I come from a completely different background than the characters, I found I could identify with the play's themes of violence, romantic relationships, and family. The play uses the f-word a lot, which I found distracting, but I got over it and afterwards was glad to have attended.

There are still shows next weekend (Friday Sept. 22, and Saturday Sept. 23 at 8pm and Sunday. Sept. 24 at 3pm). The show is 75 minutes long, (no intermission).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home