Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Life as a film production assistant

Five days ago, I didn't know exactly what a production assistant did. Here's a brief synopsis:
-carry stuff between set and basecamp (eg: bottled water, batteries for the walkies).
-"lock up" the set during filming (make sure no one gets into frame or makes too much noise).
-set up chairs and tents for the actors.
-hang out and be useful and responsible for anything that needs doing.

Biggest surprise:
-so many lights--and this is only a small production!

Best part of working on a movie set:
-not sitting at a computer.

Worst part:
-sore legs from standing 12 hours a day.

Fun things to do:
-chat with crew members.
-hand people bottles of water (you always get a big thank-you).
-enjoy the awed looks of the public when they wander by and find out you're making a movie.

Biggest misgiving:
-all the energy used, mostly for lights, and driving people around, but also for all the pop cans and water bottles that don't get recycled.

Oddest film lingo:
-the second-last shot of the day is called the "Abbie", after a 1950s director who apparently used to promise the crew that it was the second-last shot, then do 5 more.

Phrases buzzing around in my head:
-Picture's up!
-Uh, hey Jeff....
-Let's invite 1st team in.
-Go for Strum.

So anyways, I'm having a blast with this whole film thing. It's a lot of work, but so worth it!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that sounds like so much fun! sometimes I miss theater days... and to work on a film would be such a neat experience, I'd imagine.

btw, I'm rarely up so late anymore, lol. But I think it's funny that people still associate it with me (I have a friend from high school who still does, and my coworkers back at WH had taken to saying "I pulled an Angi" when they were up too late!). Now Rae (my roommate) tells me I'm up insanely "early" - can you believe it? I get up around 8:15-8:30; we have to be at work at 10. I don't see how it's early, but she sleeps until at least 9, usually 9:10 or so.

Anyways.. keep having fun with the film! I like the "film lingo" and such.

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home