Friday, August 10, 2007

Avril music video contest--The complete story

Here's the whole story of entering my Avril music video, in the "Aftermix" contest on Brightcove.com

http://www.brightcove.com/title.jsp?title=1119221735

I posted the video on July 22, and emailed the link to about 400 people. I was proud of my work and wanted people to see it, but I was also trying to get lots of views because the first round of semi-finalists is based on the number of views the video gets.

I kept checking the site to see how many views it was getting, and it kept showing 0 views. I knew this couldn't be right, because I'd been getting responses from people who had watched it, and even comments on the website.

I emailed Brightcove about it, and they said, "Oh, the number of views is just a daily snap-shot--not a dynamic number." Fine, I thought, that's stupid, but I can deal. A few days later, it still showed 0, so I wrote them again. I also wrote to the person in Avril's camp who had invited me to the contest (through my membership on her website, I think). I never heard back from her, but a week later, Brightcove finally replied, saying that they were aware of the problem, and that the contest organizers were also aware, and were extending the contest another month.

A few more days went by, and it was still showing 0 views (I'd been watching it every day or so, from different computers, to make sure that there were views to count). Then finally today, it showed 2 views. Great, except that I estimate the number should be about 200. So, I emailed all of you again, explaining briefly about the contest and asking you to watch it again.

I'm still not happy with the situation, so I think I'll keep bugging them--maybe argue that I should be automatically included in the first semi-final round because it's not my fault they screwed up.

2 Comments:

Blogger angi said...

I watched it again yesterday, and it never changed the amount of hits. I even joined so I could officially log-in, and it still didn't register that another person viewed you video. It's quite a frustrating, unfair issue I say.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Stuart Martin said...

It seems to be working now, at least, yesterday it said 91, and today it says 100. It doesn't seem to change right away though.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home