Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Host



One of my friends said, "I don't know why I continued reading The Host, because it was so bad!" Now that I've read it, I understand why she disliked it, but also why she kept reading.

The Host is frighteningly similar to Twilight. The main characters are almost identical, the writing style is identical, and even the confusing is-it-well-written-or-not is similar.

While I fell in love with the characters of Twilight, especially Bella, the characters in The Host felt creepy and wrong. The main character drove me crazy, and because her decisions drove most of the plot, that also drove me crazy. Can I say the book is badly written if it can make me crazy, and make me want to continue reading it?

I think history will be the best judge of whether Stephenie Meyer is a good writer, or whether she just wrote in a way that appealed to young people in the early part of this century. For now, I will just say: read Twilight because it rocks, and if you like it, and you love to read, try The Host at your own risk!

PS: My cat liked the book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home